As Q3 2017 comes a close (seriously, where did this year go?), those of us on ARPR’s health IT team are already working feverishly to plan a successful 2018 for our growing roster of clients. In our discussions, one thing that’s been clear is this: The North American health IT market is thunderous and is not slowing down. In fact, according to market research firm MarketsandMarkets, the industry is poised to grow to $104.3 billion by the year 2020. This indicates a 376 percent increase from 2012, when the industry’s valuation was only set at $21.9 billion.
In the mind of a PR pro, this means that more and more health IT companies will be vying for media coverage at outlets that are continuing to suffer from shrinking newsrooms. (My colleague Caroline even recently showcased how some media outlets are turning to AI to help maximize newsroom output). Ultimately, as media outlets continue to morph, the importance of media relations only intensifies. Specifically, knowing the right reporters, at the right outlets, to fit your clients’ goals and objectives. To help, we’ve outlined 10 health IT reporters and editors that we recommend all PR pros (and clients!) get to know.
- RACHEL ARNDT, MODERN HEALTHCARE – Rachel joined Modern Healthcare in March of 2017 as a general assignment reporter. She replaced the publication’s veteran health IT reporter, Joe Conn and covers a variety of topics ranging from telemedicine to interoperability and EHRs to Medicare.
- MEG BRYANT, HEALTHCARE DIVE – Meg is a senior writer for Healthcare Dive with extensive experience covering the pharma and medtech industries as well as international regulation. She is also executive editor of FDAnews and is a self-proclaimed global drug and device news hound.
- JESSICA KIM COHEN, BECKER’S HOSPITAL REVIEW – As a senior writer/reporter at Becker’s, Jessica focuses on covering the hot topics of artificial intelligence, data science and digital health. Throughout her career, she’s also had worked published in outlets like the Chicago Reader and Chicago Health Magazine.
- JENNIFER DENNARD, HISTALK – Jennifer serves as Digital Diva of HISTalk where she manages contributed content and writes daily HISTalk Practice updates centered around the latest healthcare tech news for physician practices, medical groups and clinics. She’s also the founder of #HealthITChicks, which hosts regular tweets chats for influencers.
- JOSEPH GOEDERT, HEALTH DATA MANAGEMENT – A member of the Health Data Management team since 1998, Joseph is in charge of generating news for the award-winning trade publication’s website. His main areas of interest include policy and regulatory reporting.
- LIZA HAAR, DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING – As editor of Diagnostic Imaging, Liza writes, edits and manages content surrounding the radiology industry. A fun fact about Liza is that she started out as a production editor for peer-reviewed medical journals before making her way over to Diagnostic Imaging.
- JOHN LYNN, HEALTHCARE SCENE – John is the founder of Healthcare Scene, a unique healthcare IT network which consists of 10 EHR and Healthcare IT blogs. He also helps run the weekly #HITsm tweet chat and plays an integral role in the HITMC.
- BERNIE MONEGAIN, HEALTHCARE IT NEWS – For nearly 14 years, Bernie has served as editor at large for HIMSS media, which encompasses Healthcare IT News. Bernie’s specialties include hospitals, IDNs and industry trends.
- GIENNA SHAW, FIERCEMARKETS – Gienna has been a reporter and editor for more than 25 years, joining FierceMarkets in 2011. As editor-in-chief, she is responsible for 10 of FierceMarkets B2B websites including the following health IT outlets: FierceHealthcare, FiercePracticeManagement, FierceHealthPayer and FierceHealthIT.
- AUBREY WESTGATE, MANAGED HEALTHCARE EXECUTIVE – As executive editor of Managed Healthcare Executive, Aubrey helps provide in-depth analysis about the business of healthcare to more than 40,000 clinical and non-clinical executives in managed care organization and health systems.