We love each other. No really, we do. We think you should love us, too. Today we are continuing our series that lets you get to know our Army of Awesome. Meet our new Senior Demand Gen Director, Ben Cowles!
1. HOW WAS YOUR FIRST DAY OF WORK AT ARPR?
My “first day” happened over 5 weeks: beginning as a consultant, then attending ARPR’s annual Year-End Retreat in D.C. and then joining the team full-time. It was a whirlwind of projects, collaboration and professional development that really captured the ARPR culture. The team has been so welcoming and open to sharing their expertise that it feels like we’ve worked together forever.
2. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST NONWORK-RELATED ACHIEVEMENT?
Aside from getting married and my kids being born, it’s probably shaking hands with Philly mayor Ed Rendell while I was working as a giant tennis ball mascot. Or, that day my friends and I found “One-Eyed” Willy’s pirate ship and saved our town from foreclosure by the evil country club.
3. WHAT IS YOUR GO-TO KARAOKE SONG?
- Solo: “Common People” – Pulp AND/OR “Cowboy Song” – Thin Lizzy.
- Duet: “Total Eclipse of the Heart” – Bonnie Tyler.
4. WHICH TWO CELEBRITIES (DEAD OR ALIVE) WOULD YOU LIKE TO SIT IN BETWEEN ON A 10-HOUR FLIGHT?
Stan Lee (70s era) and Gilbert Gottfried. Stan Lee revitalized the model of serialized storytelling and figured out how to get consumers to not just want more but to demand more. Gilbert Gottfried has been my favorite stand up comedian for years because he’s hilarious, irreverent and has a million stories. Added bonus: he’s big on personal space and wouldn’t fight about the armrest.
5. DRAGONS OR DINOSAURS?
Dinosaurs are much cooler than dragons. Much more diversity.
6. WHAT IS THE OLDEST THING IN YOUR REFRIGERATOR?
Chick-fil-a ranch dressing
7. WHO OR WHERE WOULD YOU HAUNT IF YOU WERE A GHOST?
Howard Schultz for a) convincing people burnt flavored coffee tastes good and b) being so naive to get fleeced on a deal selling the SuperSonics to a group intent on moving the team to Oklahoma City.
8. FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE TECH INDUSTRY?
I love how the default state of tech is in constant evolution and how that forces companies, partners, competitors and consumers to continuously learn and improve to keep pace.
9. IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE THREE APPS ON YOUR PHONE, WHAT WOULD THEY BE?
- Twitter: communication and news
- Kindle: reading with access to big content library
- Spotify: music + podcasts
10. HOW WOULD YOU EXPLAIN WHAT THE INTERNET IS TO YOUR 5-YEAR-OLD NEPHEW?
The Internet connects people everywhere, allowing us to text, make video calls, play games with each other and learn new things. It’s also where Steve from Minecraft lives.