Although podcasts have roots dating back to the 1980s, this seemingly new medium has taken off immensely over the past few years. As of January 2020, there were 700,000 active podcasts (a 22% YoY increase) totaling more than 30 million podcast episodes.
There seems to be dedicated podcasts for every genre imaginable, from cooking to true-crime, health and wellness to technology. As podcasts continue to grow in popularity, they have become a crucial part of any media relations strategy – particularly in the B2B space.
I have a personal affinity towards financial technology (fintech) and its role in business and society, so to help anyone from rookie fintech enthusiasts to marketing execs, the ARPR team and I pulled together some of the most widely recognized and listened to podcasts in the industry. We’ve divided this list into four focused categories: 1) bankers and banks, 2) credit unions and CUSOs, 3) general fintech and 4) payments tech.
Bankers and Banks
- American Banker isn’t just one of the leading sources of news for the financial services industry – it’s also home to the BankShot podcast. Often hosted by executive editor, technology Penny Crosman and reporter John Heltman, BankShot dissects hot topics and trends weighing on bankers’ minds.
Banking Transformed with Jim Marous
- Jim Marous, host of Banking Transformed, co-publisher of The Financial Brand and owner of Digital Banking Report, is one of the most recognized fintech and banking influencers. This new-ish podcast (launched in 2019) brings a unique dynamic to the mix: while banking and fintech experts are a natural fit as guests, he also interviews experts from outside of the financial industry on relevant topics such as digital transformation, innovation and communications.
Credit Unions and CUSOs
- Host Mike Lawson shakes up podcasting by adding an extra layer to his segments: video. Boasting nearly 4,000 video interviews, CUBroadcast is a one-stop-shop for credit union and CUSO leaders to hear about the hottest tech trends and learn new, modern ways to delight members. Mike also runs a health and wellness-focused broadcast, Fitxec, where CEOs and executives share how fitness, mindfulness and good health habits can boost anyone’s career — and life.
The CUInsight Experience
- CUInsight has long served as the industry’s go-to source for breaking news, so it was no surprise when The CUInsight Experience podcast launched in 2019. The credit union-focused series, hosted by Randy Smith, co-founder and publisher of CUInsight, debuted with a nearly 40-minute long interview with Jim Nussle, president and CEO of CUNA, an important advocacy organization. Since then, The CUInsight Experience has held true to its mission: to dive deeper with the people of the credit union community and find gems from their experiences that add value to the industry.
Fintech Insider Podcast by 11:FS
- This bi-weekly podcast covers all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by various industry veterans, including CEO and co-founder David M. Brear, co-founder Jason Bates and co-founder Simon Taylor, 11:FS is a top-rated business podcast for anyone interested in fintech. Episodes range from covering breaking news and developments to discussing trends across the industry.
- Looking to hear from the industry experts? Breaking Banks has you covered. This collaborative podcast is hosted by some of the most influential experts in fintech: Brett King, JP Nicols, Jason Henrichs, Ron Shevlin and Jim Marous. Touting itself as the #1 global fintech podcast, Breaking Banks is a weekly show documenting the rapidly evolving banking industry and explores some of the most innovative fintechs around the world.
- PaymentsJournal’s podcast, a media outlet backed by Mercator Advisory Group, is routinely one of the top payments-focused podcasts in the industry in terms of listener numbers. Host Ryan McEndarfer welcomes industry leaders to discuss trending topics such as paperless payments, AI and fraud, as well as industry events like Money 20/20 and Nacha’s Faster Payments.
Payments On Fire
- Owned by Glenbrook Partners, an independent payments industry strategy consulting and research firm, Payments On Fire is a hidden gem. Covering everything from the evolution of cryptocurrency to payments infrastructure to internet identity, this series is filled with episodes that stand the test of time.
BONUS ROUND: My personal favorite industry podcasts: – BAI Banking Strategies and BIGCast.
Owned and operated by industry-leading nonprofit BAI, the BAI Banking Strategies podcast covers a little bit of everything financial services: retail banking, payments, technology and innovation, marketing and sales, as well as risk, compliance and regulatory issues.
BIGCast, backed by Best Innovation Group and hosted by Atlanta-based Glen Sarvady, features tech innovations and trends impacting credit unions and banks. Their post-conference round-up shows are always informative and entertaining.
If your favorite financial tech podcast didn’t make our list, Tweet me! And if your fintech brand wants to bolster brand awareness through a strategic media relations program, contact ARPR’s FinTech Practice Group today.